ÜberSciFiGeek encourages everyone to embrace and celebrate their geekdom! Our blog features news, interviews, reviews, and opinion pieces on pop culture related to science fiction and fantasy. We cover geek lifestyle, books, comics, gaming, film, television, music, merchandise, science, and technology, with a special emphasis on small, independent projects and emerging web-based media such as web series.
“Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.” — Stargate SG-1, “200″
“Science fiction writers foresee the inevitable, and although problems and catastrophes may be inevitable, solutions are not.” — Isaac Asimov
Science fiction and fantasy lovers have the same kind of fanaticism often found in religion and, like true faith, it’s not something you do just once in a while. It’s a way of living; it’s a way of thinking; it’s a way of feeling. Being an ÜberSciFiGeek means you haven’t only embraced the genre but the principles that are often promoted by sci-fi and fantasy. Among those principles: a utopian love of others, a passion for making a positive impact on the world, a sense of adventure in exploring new things, and seeing beyond your own existence to the possibilities that lie in others.
The ÜberSciFiGeek Society was founded on April 13, 2007. Its name comes from the words Über (super) + SciFi (science fiction) + Geek (devotee).
The Society is open to any and all geeks. To become a Member, simply submit an application to society [at] uberscifigeek [dot] com, including your e-mail address, choice of username, and an explanation of how you discovered the Society. You’ll then receive an e-mail with details on how to log in to the forum, where you can change your password and fill out your profile page. The Society section of the forum is closed to non-Members to protect the privacy of Members’ posts. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to send an e-mail. Welcome to the Society!
- John Bonnell (Mantecoza, Infinite Spectrum Productions)
- Michael Davies (Captain Films, After Judgment)
- Felicia Day (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Guild, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, The Legend of Neil)
- Kim Evey (Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show, The Guild)
- James Graham (Sanctuary Web Series Insider)
- Ron Martin (Sanctuary Web Series VFX Producer)
- Sandeep Parikh (Effinfunny, The Guild, The Legend of Neil)
- Steph Song (jPod, Smallville, Paradox, The Thaw)
- Jennifer Thym (RockGinger, Lumina)
- Emilie Ullerup (Battlestar Galactica, Sanctuary)
Website Terms and Conditions of Use
By accessing the ÜberSciFiGeek Society website, you are agreeing to be bound by the following Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and you agree that you are responsible for compliance with any local laws which may apply to you. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this website are protected by applicable copyright and trademark laws.
- Use License: Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on ÜberSciFiGeek’s website for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on ÜberSciFiGeek’s website;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
- Use License Exception: When content on the ÜberSciFiGeek is specifically marked or annotated to include different licensing provisions than those laid out in 2a, the markings accompanying the content prevail and the content is excempt from the provisions of 2a and subject to the provisions set forth in the annotation or license given with the content. Such licenses include Creative Commons markings and licenses.
- Use License Termination: This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by ÜberSciFiGeek at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
- License for Posted Content: With respect to text, photos, drawings or any other content entered into and stored by site features such as the forum or comments to the blog (“User Generated Content”), the submitting user retains ownership of such User Generated Content. The submitting User grants to ÜberSciFiGeek the royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to maintain the content on the ÜberSciFiGeek site unless and until the user sends a request via e-mail to privacy [at] uberscifigeek [dot] com identifying content which he/she would like removed, which ÜberSciFiGeek will then remove and destroy within a reasonable period of time after receiving such notification. In the event that ÜberSciFiGeek would like to use such User Generated Content for additional purposes such as promotion of the ÜberSciFiGeek website, the user will be contacted for separate permission. Additionally, ÜberSciFiGeek claims no responsibility for User Generated Content posted to the forums or comments. User Generated Content is the sole responsibility of the user posting the content. The user, not ÜberSciFiGeek, is solely responsible for all of the content he/she posts, uploads or otherwise transmits to ÜberSciFiGeek. Users are prohibited from posting content which is violation. ÜberSciFiGeek does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of User Generated Content, nor does it guarantee that User Generated Content is free from violation of copyright, trademark, trade secret or patent laws.
3. Content Removal
ÜberSciFiGeek reserves the right to remove any content provided by itself or by users for any reason or no reason at any time.
- The materials on ÜberSciFiGeek’s website are provided “as is.” ÜberSciFiGeek makes no warranties, express or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, ÜberSciFiGeek does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet website or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall ÜberSciFiGeek or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to service interruption) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on ÜberSciFiGeek’s website, even if ÜberSciFiGeek or an ÜberSciFiGeek authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
6. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on ÜberSciFiGeek’s website could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. ÜberSciFiGeek does not warrant that any of the materials on its website are accurate, complete, or current. ÜberSciFiGeek may make changes to the materials contained on its website at any time without notice. ÜberSciFiGeek does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
ÜberSciFiGeek has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet website and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by ÜberSciFiGeek of the site. Use of any such linked website is at the user’s own risk.
9. Governing Law
Any claim relating to ÜberSciFiGeek’s website shall be govered by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
Your privacy is very important to us. Accordingly, we have developed this Policy in order for you to understand how we collect, use, communicate and disclose and make use of personal information.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will use information collected only for the purposes specified, unless we obtain consent from the individual first, or unless we are required by law to use or disclose the information in another way or to another purpose.
- We will only retain the information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purpose.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal information collected will be protected by reasonable security safeguards against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
2. Data Collected
- The Forum: The ÜberSciFiGeek Forum is a private forum with admission only for invited and approved members. Members who apply for entry to the forum will provide a name and a valid e-mail address. This information is maintained by the site administrator, Raven Kai, and will not be used for any purpose other than verification of the e-mail account and set up of a forum user account for the applicant.
- Blog Comments: The ÜberSciFiGeek Blog allows users to post comments in response to articles. Posting of a comment requires an e-mail address and a user name of the user’s choosing. The e-mail address will not be displayed. The purpose of collecting this information is an effort to reduce comment spam, and the e-mail address will not be used for any other reason.
- Miscellaneous Traffic Information: The ÜberSciFiGeek website may also collect anonymous information on web traffic, including the number of hits, and the IP address from which visitors originate. This information is not tied to any user names or e-mail addresses and will be used only for statistical purposes.
3. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
ÜberSciFiGeek respects and values the privacy of Children. The site is not anticipated or intended to target any audience under the age of 14. Applicants to the forum who are found to be under the age of 14 will not be permitted to participate on the forum regardless of parental permission, and all information relating to those applicants will be purged and deleted upon discovery of the individual’s age. ÜberSciFiGeek encourages parents to monitor their children’s online activities.